One of the first recipes that I created myself was a rosemary and chocolate vegan cookie. I had a surplus of the herb and as I was muddling it I realized that this must be wonderful when paired with chocolate, so to the Labs I ran! After some playing around this is what I came out with and I to this day love the warm and comforting aroma of this cookie. It is not too sweet and with rosemary is the perfect seasonal addition making these cookies fit right in this Holiday season!
- 2 1/4 cup of flour (you can use whole wheat or all-purpose) I used Whole Wheat
- 1 TBS rosemary, ground. I used a molcajete however you can use any method to grind
- 1 cup of flax meal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp of sea salt (I used Himalayan Pink)
- 1/2 cup of raw sugar (I used dark raw in the recipe originally but coconut sugar would be a wonderful substitute as well)
- 2 tsp of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 TBS sipping chocolate powder or hot cocoa mix
- 2/3 cup of maple syrup
- 1/2 cup of black strap molasses (unsulphured)
Pre- heat oven to 350*
Mix all dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
Mix all wet ingredients together in a separate mixing bowl then combine both bowls together by creating a well in the middle of the dry ingredients to pour the wet ingredients into
Add a little water if and as needed to get to fully combine
Roll into balls and then top with more ground rosemary (I stamped each ball onto a sprinkling of COURSELY ground rosemary.)
Place balls ~ 2" apart onto a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicon baking sheet and bake for 11-15 minutes or longer if needed.
The rosemary on top really sets off the fine rosemary taste in the cookie itself so do not be afraid to dust it liberally!
Here you will find all my creations and interesting recipes that will fit into even the most specialized dietary needs!